What can research and statistics tell us about how to prevent another Ferguson? How does having a high school diploma change lives and communities? How do we improve community and law enforcement relationships and interactions?
In this episode of Associations Thrive, host Joanna Pineda interviews Dr. Annise Mabry, Founder & Executive Director at The Dr. Annise Mabry Foundation. Annise introduces the Foundation, talks about her journey from being a homeschool mom to founding the Foundation, and then talks about what the Foundation is doing to improve communities, especially in rural America.
Dr. Annise Mabry discusses:
- How she started her foundation because the reading curriculum she wanted to buy for her homeschooled son was only available to nonprofits.
- The students who reached out because they had developed a model that could predict the next Ferguson.
- How Annise and the students discovered that communities that have higher levels of non-high school graduates results in a higher risk of becoming another Ferguson.
- How Annise’s homeschool cooperative has partnered with police and sheriff departments to increase the high school graduation rate in counties across Georgia.
- How high school graduates have so many more doors open to them than non-high school graduates.
- How Annise created the SW Georgia Community Policing Resource Center, which is a partnership between Walmart and police and sheriff departments to create cops’ closets; people who have an interaction with law enforcement can receive clothing, furniture, food, and other necessities free of charge.
- How police officers deliver donated gifts to kids in poor communities with blue lights and sirens!
- How Annise measures the effectiveness and impact of the Foundation’s efforts.
About Dr. Annise Mabry
Dr. Annise Mabry is the founder of The Dr. Annise Mabry Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization specializing in community development, and is the executive director of Tiers Free Academy. Tiers Free Academy is an alternative diploma program that uses the homeschool framework to empower parents and guardians on how to provide their children with a homeschool high school diploma.
About The Dr. Annise Mabry Foundation
The Dr. Annise Mabry Foundation is a nonprofit Community Economic Development (CED) organization.
The mission of The Dr. Annise Mabry Foundation is to serve and empower our community by engaging in activities, programs, and partnerships that promote education, synchrony between law enforcement and community members, and active community engagement. the Foundation works tirelessly to improve the development and life opportunities of homeless LGBTQ youth, sex trafficking survivors, youth aging out of foster care, youth aging out of the public school system, and high school dropouts by using a comprehensive approach that equips them to earn their high school diplomas while developing their overall capabilities.
The Foundation believes in developing and implementing creative community based strategies that provide the framework for economic opportunity and workforce development.
The Dr. Annise Mabry Foundation envisions a community where all people, regardless of circumstance, demographics, or hardships, experience insurmountable upward economic mobility in harmony between law enforcement, community members, and community leaders.
About Associations Thrive
Associations Thrive podcast is hosted by Joanna Pineda, CEO & Chief Troublemaker at Matrix Group International. Joanna’s personal mission and the mission of Matrix Group is to help associations and nonprofits increase membership, generate revenue and thrive in the digital space.
We believe that every association has a unique mission and unique story that demonstrates how they’re serving their members, impacting their industry, and ultimately changing the world. Every guest is an association Chief Executive, Executive Director or President. We’re here to help amplify their stories so all associations can learn and thrive, together.
If you and your organization have a great story, apply to be on Associations Thrive!