In this episode of Associations Thrive, host Joanna Pineda interviews Dave Jackson, Executive Officer of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET). Dave introduces ASPET, talks about his journey to becoming Executive Officer at ASPET, and how ASPET is seeing an increase in membership after five years of membership decline. Dave discusses:
- How he became interested in the work of associations when he was an accountant, then moved into associations operations; and finally became a first time chief exec last year.
- What it was like to step into the role as the new Executive Officer at a time when ASPET staff were fully remote, and how ASPET has successfully transitioned to a hybrid work schedule.
- How ASPET is holding its first standalone annual conference this May, after co-hosting a conference with other scientific organizations for many years.
- ASPET’s new advocacy efforts and the intent to become the voice of the profession.
- How Dave is working on a new strategic plan for the organization.
- How the White House directive re: open access for government-funded research is causing ASPET to rethink and reformulate its journal strategy, especially since the organization relies so heavily on revenue from journal subscription sales and licensing.
About Dave Jackson
A licensed CPA, Dave has experience overseeing membership, finance, information technology, conferences, publications, office services, data analysis, contract administration, and legal functions as well as providing strategic advice and budgetary counsel. While Dave served as the CFOO for ACA, the association experienced record levels of membership, revenues, and assets. In addition to ACA, he has worked for the American Association of Immunologists, Associated Builders and Contractors, National Geographic, and Johnson Lambert.
About the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) is a 4,000 member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work for academia, government, large pharmaceutical companies, small biotech companies, and non-profit organizations.
ASPET members work in a variety of different fields and include neuroscientists, toxicologists, chemical biologists, pharmacists, cardiovascular scientists, and many more. Though very diverse, our members have a common bond through their membership in ASPET. Our members’ research efforts help develop new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
About Associations Thrive
Associations Thrive podcast is hosted by Joanna Pineda, CEO & Chief Troublemaker at Matrix Group International. Joanna’s personal mission and the mission of Matrix Group is to help associations and nonprofits increase membership, generate revenue and thrive in the digital space.
We believe that every association has a unique mission and unique story that demonstrates how they’re serving their members, impacting their industry, and ultimately changing the world. Every guest is an association Chief Executive, Executive Director or President. We’re here to help amplify their stories so all associations can learn and thrive, together.
If you and your organization have a great story, apply to be on Associations Thrive!