I love podcasts! I listen to at least one podcast every single day. And yes, I’m a podcaster. I have two podcasts: Associations Thrive is a podcast celebrating successful associations and their leaders and K Drama Chat is a podcast where my co-hosts and I take one Korean Drama (K Drama) each season and recap and analyze each episode.
So, does YOUR organization need a podcast?
The answer is always gonna be “it depends.” But consider these statistics from Riverside.fm:
- As of 2022, 62% of Americans will have listened to a podcast ever in their lives. This is an estimated 177 million Americans and an increase from 57%, the percentage of the same statistic, in 2021.
- From this figure, 38% of Americans listened to a podcast in the last month and 26% in the last week.
- 50% of monthly U.S. podcast listeners are aged between 12-34, 43% between 35 and 54 years old, and 22% are aged over 55.
- Dedicated podcast listeners prefer podcasts about history (37%), news (36%), true crime (36%) and science (34%).
So why host a podcast for your association? I can think of many reasons:
- Podcasts are a great way to educate members and keep them up to date about your profession or industry, through a channel that doesn’t require that they be sitting in front of their computers. Podcasts are great for when you’re in the car, cooking, even doing laundry!
- Audio podcasts are more approachable in terms of cost and effort than video podcasts or video series.
- Podcast listeners have a greater attention span. Listeners prefer podcasts that are under 30 minutes long, while TechSmith found that 50% of people prefer a video length between three and six minutes.
If you’re looking for some terrific association podcasts, here a few that I recommend:
- Answers in Action from the American Marketing Association
- NAR’s Center for REALTOR® Development from the National Association of Realtors
- Health Calls from the Catholic Health Association
- That’s Brilliant from the American Lighting Association
While there are thousands of podcasts, there are probably few or no podcasts in your industry or profession. It’s a great time to create a podcast for your association.
Want to talk podcasting? Get in touch with me or find me on LinkedIn. Matrix Group doesn’t produce podcasts but we can help you develop your strategy and implementation plan. If you want execution help, I recommend my friends at Association Briefings.
And if and when you launch a podcast, please let me know so I can listen and share!