I had the pleasure of speaking at the ASAE Technology Conference, taking place until tomorrow at the DC Convention Center. My topic? Dealing With Big Trends in a Small Staff Organization. Here are the 5 big trends I discussed:
- Your Browser as the New Operating System. The Web browser is increasingly the platform for mission critical applications, like association management systems, intranets, document management systems and e-mail.
- Conversation is King. We used to talk about creating a communications strategy. Today, we need to create a conversation strategy because customers are interested in engagement, in two-way conversations.
- Unified, Integrated Data. I call this the Amazon Effect. Our customers expect us to know who they are, communicate with them in a personalized way, and give them personalized offerings. We can’t do this unless we have a unified view of their activities and interactions.
- Zen Tech Warrior. These warriors want information on specific topics, when they want it, on the device(s) of their choice. Take me, for example. I might want my magazine in print, news via e-mail, and alerts via text. Can your database handle these preferences and can you execute on this information?
- Green Computing. We all know that we need to do our part to reduce energy consumption and save the planet. Data centers represent 1.5% of the electricity demand in the US. Think green when you buy computers and peripherals.
Since my session was an Idealab, I got terrific comments and questions from my audience. The liveliest discussion centered around creating a communications strategy because it intersects with the need to create a social networking strategy. My top tips here?
- Monitor what is being said through Google Alerts and Twitter searches (that you can RSS).
- Create a social networking response team.
- Have a blogging strategy. Even if your organization does not host a blog, what should you do when your organization is mentioned negatively in a blog?
Here’s a link to the handout from my session. What about you? What big trends are coming your way and how you are dealing with them?