Video has become a big part of web marketing, though many organizations don’t have a big budget to hire an outside firm to create videos. There are different tools that make it easier for organizations to create professional videos. Here at Matrix Group we like to use Final Cut Pro, Apple’s video editing program.
Recently we’ve started using Adobe After Effects, which provides some of the same functionalities as Final Cut Pro. So which one is better? What are the differences between them?
To answer these questions we asked two skilled Matrix Group staffers: Sarah Jedrey and Andi Simons. Sarah, a junior front end developer, has used Final Cut Pro to create multiple videos for Matrix Group, as well as clients. Andi, our interactive designer, has been working with After Effects.
Final Cut Pro
So what is Final Cut? The program helps users edit and produce videos. Final Cut Pro can be used by people who make videos as a hobby or as professional filmmakers. So yes, as a newbie filmmaker, you can use this.
“It’s pretty intuitive to use, in comparison. There are great tutorial-videos to find the answer to the questions you have,” says Sarah.
Other pros include:
- One of the pros is that the program is considered industry standard and is easy to use.
- What makes the program easy? Well, the program has good documentation and a knowledgable user base, so it’s easy to find what you are looking for.
A couple of disadvantages of using Final Cut are that:
- It’s only available for Mac devices
- It’s a little bit more expensive than other editing programs.
Adobe After Effects is a program that you can use for making motion graphic videos.
Pros and Cons
“It is easy to pick up the basics but challenging to go deeper into the program” says Andi.
Other pros for using After Effects are:
- You can add 3D effects
- Adobe offers great tutorials to help first-time users to get comfortable with the programs
- It comes with Adobe’s Creative Cloud Subscription
- It’s a lot more powerful when it comes to motion graphics and text.
A couple of disadvantages that we discovered with After-Effects were:
- It’s more difficult to edit and render videos compared to Final Cut
- The interface is not very user-friendly, making the learning curve steeper
Who’s the winner?
While After Effects allows editors to create cool graphics and animations, the user interface makes it challenging to create videos compared to Final Cut, which has a straightforward, easy-to-use interface.
So, for Matrix Group, we would pick Final Cut Pro overall for its ease of use.
So, in this competition, we think Final Cut Pro is the winner.