Recently, I did a webinar with Matrix Group CEO Joanna Pineda on “How to Integrate Visual Social Media Platforms into Your Communications Strategy.” Visual social media platforms like Instagram, Vine and Pinterest are becoming dominant forces in the social media world.
More and more companies are jumping on the visual social media bandwagon, using these platforms to:
- Introduce new products
- Promote events and causes
- Give followers an inside look into their corporate culture
- Or, simply inspire.
My Favorite Campaigns
Organizations are doing some cool things on social media! You can’t help but get inspired! Here are a few of my favorites:
- UNICEF’s Really Want These Campaign: To help raise awareness of child poverty worldwide, UNICEF took to Pinterest through the eyes of Ami Musa, a fictional 13-year-old girl from Sierra Leone and the basic necessities that she wishes for that many of us take advantage of every day … running water, shoes, food and going to school.
- InStyle’s Instagram Feed: I have been an avid reader for more than a decade, so it’s no surprise that I follow the magazine on social media. This feed is an example of how organizations are using the photo-sharing social media site to showcase everything from promoting products to giving an inside look inside its corporate culture. InStyle also hosts contests to engage its followers.
- Congressman Jared Huffman’s Vine Videos to Protest Against Cutting SNAP: Using common food products, Congressman Huffman’s team created these simple videos to communicate the impact SNAP cuts will have on millions of Americans. The concept is simple; the creativity involved in producing these is amazing!
- Food Marketing Institute (FMI)’s Supermarket Facts Video: My team at Matrix Group created the first of a series of videos showcasing facts about the supermarket industry. The first video focuses on how often American consumers visit the supermarket and where they’re shopping through fun infographics and animation.
Tips for Integrating Visual Social Media Platforms into Your Social Media Strategy
When it comes to determining which social media platforms to add to your current social media activities, which ones should you include? Before you jump on the visual social media bandwagon, consider the following:
- Review your current social media strategy and see which platforms (s) will help you fulfill your established goals.
- Once you’ve determined which platforms you want to include, make sure you create a posting schedule and have the staff resources to manage it.
- Get inspiration from other organizations. Take a look at what other organizations are doing on visual social media networks to inspire some creativity.
- Once you’ve created your profiles, start building your following. Promote your social media presence on your traditional and online communications. Also make sure you add followers and engage with them by commenting and liking their post.
- Monitor and refine your posts on regular basis. Measuring activity should be part of your social media activities.
Need help in with your social media strategy or interested in a social media training for your staff? Contact Sherrie Bakshi, Director of Marketing and Social Media at firstname.lastname@example.org.