Matrix Group, a leading digital marketing development agency in the Washington, D.C. area, recently launched a redesigned website for the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA)
For more than 50 years, SWANA has been the leading professional association in the solid waste management field. SWANA is committed to advancing from solid waste management to resource management through their shared emphasis on education, safety, advocacy and research. SWANA serves over 10,000 members in the United States and Canada, and thousands more industry professionals with conferences, certifications, publications, networking opportunities, and a large offering of technical training courses.
Waste has a negative connotation, yet it is one of the richest resources we have. Similarly, the SWANA website was outdated, and didn’t adequately showcase SWANA’s deep educational content, world-class events, and industry-recognized certifications. SWANA sought to reimagine its website with the following goals:
- Present the industry in an aspirational light and showcase all the good that the industry does and is involved with.
- Create more awareness of SWANA certification.
- Generate higher visibility for SWANA safety programs.
- Encourage higher use of SWANA’s safety resources so that the solid waste collection industry is no longer in the Top 5/Top 10 list for worker fatalities.
- Change the public’s perception of waste; encourage people to see waste as a resource
- Be viewed as a leader in shaping policy.
Matrix Group worked closely with the SWANA team to design and develop a website that provides a compelling experience for SWANA members, prospective members and the public alike. The new website features:
“Matrix was very helpful in helping us identify who our audience is—and what they are looking for on our site. They worked with us to develop more accurate process flows, better integration with our CRM tools, and better overall web useability. This concentration on user needs has resulted in higher traffic, an improved shopping cart abandonment rate, and faster responses in addressing member issues.”
- A new information architecture that facilitates wayfinding through clearer navigation, close integration between the website and SWANA’s community in Higher Logic, and relationships between content through taxonomy. For example, a new Initiatives navigation item clearly delineates SWANA’s priorities.
- A bold design that shows how waste can be a beautiful resource. For example, Instead of dozens of items competing for attention, the home page features inspiring video and just three calls to action: Resources, Events, News.
- Seamless integration with iMIS, SWANA’s Association Management System, and Higher Logic, the association’s community platform. Through these integrations, events, products, and publications dynamically import to the CMS and display through widgets.
- A better staff experience through the Sitefinity content management system. Sitefinity templates make it much easier to create beautiful new pages, content types make it a snap to update commonly updated sections, and mobile-responsiveness is supported through mobile stylesheets.
- Implementation of SearchBlox for the site search, including extensive consultations about ways to make the entire site more search-friendly, establishment of featured results, search analytics, and the ability to easily narrow search results. The search now indexes Sitefinity content, Higher Logic libraries and discussions, and all publications and events from iMIS.
- Meri Beth Wojtaszek, Deputy Executive Director, SWANA
Visit the Redesigned SWANA Website
About the Solid Waste Association of North America
The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) is now the largest member based solid waste association in the world with 47 Chapters, in the U.S, Canada and the Caribbean and over 10,000 members. SWANA is committed to advancing from solid waste management to resource management through their shared emphasis on education, advocacy and research. SWANA serves industry professionals through technical conferences, certifications, publications and a large offering of technical training courses.
About Matrix Group
Matrix Group is a leading digital marketing and consulting agency in the Washington, D.C. area specializing in web design, development, AMS, integration, branding, mobile and e-marketing services. Clients hire us to solve these challenges: Increase member or stem membership decline; increase member/customer retention with a compelling set of web, mobile, social and AMS offerings; reach new audiences with a clear brand; and increase staff productivity by integrating various back office systems.
Looking to reimagine your web presence? Get in touch!