It’s that time of year again! Time to celebrate the holidays (whatever your affiliation) and do some shopping! Once again, I polled the Matrix Group staff and asked them for their favorite techie/geekie gift ideas. Here are some gifts that will wow, amaze and up your geek cred. :-)
- This is one I want. The Amazon Echo is like a radio, music box and Siri rolled into one. It’s always on, waiting for your commands. The “always on” part wigs out my husband a little bit because he figures it’s always listening and storing your conversations in the cloud. I figure it will be my companion when I’m getting ready in the morning, when I have nobody to talk to, and I’m in need of music, traffic and weather.
- Maki loves his Makelangelo Drawbot, which is a little robot that lets you design and then draw images on large sheets of paper with a Sharpie pen! Maki recommends the 2.5 or 3 versions.
- Everykey is a wristband that replaces keys and passwords. It’s sleek, secure, and can be deactivated at any time. It’s basically a Bluetooth wristband that allows immediate access to your password-protected electronics such as a smartphone, tablet, or computer, as well as physically locked items including doors, car doors, bike locks, and other controlled access devices.
- SoloShot: This is a camera with tripod that automatically zooms in/out and follows you (when you keep a tracking chip on you). Fantastic for filming active kids, pets, athletic activities.
- Speaking of cameras, I want a Go Pro wearable or mountable camera! I thought about getting one to wear while I do my tae kwon do, or putting one on my 4-year old to see the world from his perspective.
- If you and your kids love Legos and you want to take your Lego experience to the next level, get the latest Lego Mindstorms — EV3. Make cars, dinosaurs and monsters that move, fight, are motion-sensitive and more! This is an awesome STEM toy you can feel good about!
- Tetris Stackable LED Desk Lamp: If you love Tetris the game, you’ll love this lamp, which you can configure and reconfigure to your heart’s content. The LED light turns on when the pieces are stacked together and stays off when disassembled.
- For the coffee lover, in your life, why not give them a monthly coffee subscription for some really great Craft Coffee? This isn’t K-cup coffee (although we love K-cups around here), this is for serious coffee snobs!
- For the neat freak with little to no time, try the Swivel Sweeper. One staff member says she spends 10 minutes with this bad boy and it does a super job! It “cleans up almost all crumbs on my hard wood floor and works for those annoying carpeted steps.”
- Maria loves her Instant HotPot, which is 7-in-1 programmable electric pressure cooker that can also be a slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, etc. Works great, easy to clean and you can replace so many individual appliances with this one item.
- Head Case - The Desktop Nap Pillow: Now, wherever you are, you can enjoy refreshing nap time just like you did in kindergarten. The Ostrich Pillow has head-friendly polypropylene filling to cushion your noggin and convenient hand pockets to accommodate perfect napping posture. Easy to use – insert head, pronate face toward horizontal surface. Naps are good.
- Big Hero 6 Baymax Plush Toy: If you saw the movie Big Hero 6, you’ll understand the appeal of this. I want my own Baymax!
Happy Holidays and may your gift giving be full of blinking lights and batteries! If you’ve got a cool techie gift idea, please write a comment!