Web Developer / Swiss Army Knife
Matrix Group is looking for experienced Web Developer to join our growing team.
Know the expression "when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail"?
We're looking for Swiss Army Knives because in the span of a couple of months, you might:
- work on implementing a .NET CMS
- write a script to migrate thousands of pages of static text
- program an interactive game in jquery
- write some custom code for a WordPress site, and
- do some database optimization to speed up some slow reports.
What does this mean?
We're looking for developers who want to:
- work on a variety of projects
- have mastery of at least one web programming language and knowledge of 1 or 2 more
- are intellectually curious about a lot of different things, and
- want to be part of a team making great websites for associations, non-profits and private firms.
Not yet a Swiss Army Knife but aspire to be one? If you've got mastery of .NET(C#), Microsoft MVC, Razor templating, PHP or ColdFusion and want to take your skills to the next level and expand your toolbox, you've come to the right place.
You won't do this work alone. Every person is part of a team. Each team consists of two project managers, 4-6 web programmers, a couple of front-end developers, a designer, a QA person, and a sys admin. Each is named after a movie (Fifth Element, X-Men, you get the picture) because frankly, our clients think we're super heroes and stars.
Here are your main responsibilities as a Web Developer / Swiss Army Knife:
- Be part of a team that develops websites, applications and mobile apps for clients
- Be involved in the entire project life cycle, from the development of the specifications, design of the user interface, database design and construction, programming, and gathering of client feedback
- Develop Web applications that exceed industry and Matrix coding standards
- Contribute to the Matrix Group knowledge base by sharing what you've learned from projects. industry events, and trainings in the company wikis and Friday lunch-and-learns
Here are sample development projects recently launched by Matrix Group:
- Redesigned a major trade association website in the Sitefinity CMS (.NET). The site is responsive and the migration involved moving over 1,000 pages of static text. Sitefinity was integrated with a third party membership database for single sign-on and dynamic topic pages that display content from the CMS, membership database and third party sites.
- Created an iPad game that teaches kids about recycling and re-using items.
- Developed a custom accreditation portal that allows customers to submit their applications and submit evidence, the organization to review the evidence and schedule onsite visits, and the accreditation committee to review all documents and reports and decided whether or not to grant accreditation to the health center.
Interested? You'll be successful in this position if:
- You have previously worked at an interactive agency and think it's the best because of the pace and the diversity of projects and technologies
- You love, love, love the web and mobile
- You are organized and committed to getting things done
- You believe that code should be elegant and clean, and that coding is a creative act
- You are knowledgeable about how to program applications securely
- You want to know how your work fits into your clients' mission and goals
- You go beyond the specifications by making suggestions for making applications better and flagging sections that don't make sense
- You love working in a team environment
Matrix Group is a leading interactive agency in the DC area. We make great websites for associations, professional societies and non-profits, and the occasional for profit company.
Here are sample sites that recently won awards or just got redesigned:
You can learn more about us by visiting:
- Our website: MatrixGroup.net
- Our staff blog: SnackOClock.net
- Our CEO's blog: TheMatrixFiles.net
- Our YouTube channel: YouTube.com/MatrixGroup
- Our Facebook page: Facebook.com/MatrixGroup (and other social media pages!)